What you get
Baliem Valley Festival and trek to Papuan jungle villages
A unique opportunity to visit an authentic festival in one of the most remote places in the world. This is not a show for tourists, it is a true tribal gathering!
- Meet tribes that lead a very traditional way of life.
- Walk through the wild jungle, passing over the suspension bridges, and along the waterfalls.
- Visit the tiny villages lost in the forests where life has not changed since ancient times.
- Watch reenactments of the ancient wars and traditional tribal competitions.
The price of the trip includes:
- Domestic flights Jayapura-Wamena-Jayapura;
- Porters and guides during the trek;
- Food during trekking (3 days);
- Festival entrance ticket;
- Hotels in Wamena (may be changed to homestay or other kinds of accommodation. Tour leader will inform the group after final arrangements are made);
- English speaking guide during the entire trip;
- All transportation during the trip;
- Tents and cooking gear rental.
What is NOT included:
- Flight to Jakarta and back home;
- Domestic flights Jakarta-Jayapura-Jakarta;
- Food (except during trekking);
- Baggage over 10 kg in Jayapura-Wamena-Jayapura flight;
- Medical insurance (mandatory).
We arrive in Jayapura, the capital of Papua, in the morning. We have breakfast and rest at the airport. At about lunchtime we will fly to Wamena, the main city of the Baliem Valley. Check in at the hotel. Here we get all the necessary permissions for further movement.
Day 2 - 3
In the morning we go to the festival. We will spend the whole day watching a unique event - the annual meeting of the three main tribes of Papua. This is the only opportunity to see hundreds of locals performing traditional rituals in national dress. The main theme of the festival - the reenactment of the ancient tribal wars. We will see the battles like they were in the most immemorial times of the existence of our civilization ...
We will listen to traditional music, we will see dances, and we will watch competitions in pig racing, javelin throwing, hunting and others. We also spend half the next day at the festival, and after lunch we take the cars and head to the small village on the edge of the valley in Baliem. We will spend the night in tents.
Day 4 - 6
During these 3 days we trek for 28 kilometers, enjoying nature of picturesque Baliem valley and visiting 7-8 villages of Dani and Lani tribes. We will be accompanied by porters, spend nights in tents and will be buying some of our food (sweet potato and a kind of vegetable) from locals.
We will walk along the paths among the bright green jungles, admire the waterfalls, cross the ford of the river and walk along the suspension bridges. We are surrounded by the wildest jungles of our planet!
Morning flight to Jayapura, flight to Jakarta and back home. Those interested can continue their trip elsewhere in Indonesia.
Is this trip for you?
Indonesia is visa free for citizens of most countries.
We provide free visa consulting services for our clients.
3G mobile internet in Indonesia
Price: + $12
Local prepaid sim card with 2GB internet package
Mexico. Beaches, caves, Chichen Itza and Mexico city
Cuba. Famous sights and hidden corners
The best of Cuba and Mexico. Yucatan, beaches, Chichen Itza and Ek Balam
Incredible India: Most famous landmarks
The main holy sites of India
India. Delhi, Jaipur, Agra
Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam
Myanmar and Cambodia
Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos
Guatemala. The world of the ancient Maya, unique history, natural wonders
Discovering Sri Lanka: Holy sites, mountains, whales and beaches
Cambodia and Laos
Hong Kong, Singapore and treasures of Borneo
Hong Kong, Singapore: Asian tigers
Laos and Vietnam
Treasures of Borneo
Treasures of Borneo and Singapore
Kenya. Beaches, safari and cities
Ten days in Kenya
Japan. History and super technologies during the "momiji" red leaves season
Spring in Japan and South Korea
Cherry blossom season in Japan and the best of South Korea
Singapore, Hong Kong and the Philippines
Hong Kong and the Philippines. Clear water
Hong Kong, Philippines and Singapore
Iconic sights of Japan. Wonderful season of red leaves "momiji"